The recent trend of “Makeup for Men” has brought about a revolution in the modern beauty industry. It has shattered the age-old societal norms that associate makeup with women and has enabled people to express their true selves freely. This article will take a closer look at the evolving landscape of men’s makeup, exploring the reasons behind its meteoric rise, the best products available in the market, and essential techniques for achieving a flawless look. Whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned pro, this article will provide you with a comprehensive guide to mastering the art of men’s makeup.
Breaking Gender Stereotypes:
Over the past few years, there has been a significant shift in societal attitudes towards makeup for men. The traditional notion that makeup is only for women is gradually fading away, and an increasing number of men are embracing it as a means of self-expression. This change challenges the gender stereotypes that have long been associated with makeup, creating a more inclusive definition of beauty. It is encouraging to see people of all genders now feeling free to experiment with makeup, express themselves, and showcase their creativity without fear of judgment or ridicule.
Why Makeup for Men?
Men’s increasing interest in makeup for men is driven by various motivations. Some use it to subtly enhance their features for a more polished appearance, while others see it as a form of artistic expression. The makeup industry has acknowledged this evolving market and developed products specifically designed for men that address their unique skincare needs and preferences.
Essential Products for Men’s Makeup:
1. Foundation and Concealer: Foundations can help even out skin tone and cover up blemishes, scars, or imperfections, providing an even complexion. Concealer can do the same for smaller areas and is used to help naturally brighten your appearance. For me, I only use foundation when I am going to an event, but I use concealer every day to help my eyes look less tired, and more even.
My Fav Foundations:
Fenty Eaze Drops
IT CC+ (SPF 50)
Too Faced: Born This Way
My Fav Concealers:
Tarte Shape Tape
IT Bye Bye Dark Spots
2. Brow Gels and Pencils: I have said it before and I will say it again… Brows make your makeup! I was never happy with my makeup until I started doing my brows. Drawing and maintaining your brows can help your face appear more even, as well as change the size of your eyes if you have big eyes like me.
My Fav Brow Products:
Benefit Brow Microfilling Pen
3. Primers: If you are just starting in the world of makeup, having to add a new routine might be a little intimidating. If so, using a primer might be for you. When I first started getting into makeup, I didn’t use foundation, I simply used primer. This didn’t give as much coverage, but it helped to blur my skin’s imperfections and give my skin a silky appearance.
My Fav Primers:
Benefit POREfessional Lite
Smashbox Photo Finish
Urban Decay All Nighter Primer
4. Neutral Tone Eyeshadows: Here’s a secret I learned from Stacie; Adding a bit of shimmer eyeshadow on the inner corner of your eyes, gives your eyes a natural glow. I took this to the next level and tried it with white eyeshadow, and WOW… I can manipulate the size of my eye more than I ever imagined I could. White, beige, and champaign eyeshadows look most natural if that is the effect you are going for. For those just starting, eyeshadow pencils are a great way to learn how to apply eyeshadow.
NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil
IT Superhero Eyeshadow Stick
Laura Mercier Caviar Stick
5. Mascara: I swear, sometimes it looks like my eyelashes don’t even exist. If you have light eyelashes like me, mascara is going to be your best friend. Mascara is a great way to make your eyes look kinder, as well as pull the entire eye together.
Too Faced Better Than Sex
Benefit BADgal BANG
Techniques for a Flawless Finish:
1. Prep and Prime: Start your makeup when your skin is at its cleanest. I recommend either a cleanser by the sink. I always use a moisturizer to go in and make my face have a healthy barrier between my skin and the makeup I’m applying.
2. Groomed Facial Hair: If you have facial hair, grooming is crucial. Makeup is best applied on clean skin, and facial hair gets in the way. I recommend shaving the night before applying makeup, that way your skin has time to relax before applying makeup in the morning.
3. Blending: Blend Blend Blend Blend Blend! When you apply any foundation or concealer, remember to blend! Blending can help make your makeup look more natural, as well as give your face a cleaner look.
4. Setting Spray: No matter how much or how little makeup you apply, you should always use a setting spray! Waterproof makeup is a PAIN, and the way I avoid using it is by having a setting spray that I would bet on. Urban Decay All-Nighter is the only setting spray I trust!
The Rise of Inclusivity in Beauty:
The acceptance of makeup for men reflects a broader shift towards inclusivity in the beauty industry. Brands are recognizing the diverse needs of their customers and adapting their product lines accordingly. Men’s makeup is no longer a niche market but a dynamic and integral part of the beauty landscape.
In conclusion, “Makeup for Men” is not just about cosmetics; it’s a movement challenging preconceived notions and celebrating individuality. As more men embrace the transformative power of makeup, the beauty industry continues to evolve, breaking down barriers and fostering a more inclusive definition of beauty. Whether you’re a makeup enthusiast or a beginner, the world of men’s makeup invites everyone to explore and express themselves with confidence.